I enjoy the look of fishnets with more business-like attire -- it adds an unexpected bit of punk-rockerishness to an outfit. However, when your job requires you to stand as much as mine does, spending the entire day in fishnets and any sort of heeled shoe can, quite literally, become a major pain. All the little individual strings start to cut into your flesh if you stand on them for too long, especially at the pressure points caused by heels.
I recently had a major epiphany about how to wear one of my favorite fashion "accessories" and not wanting to cut my feet off by the middle of my work day. So, those of you who love your fishnets but tend to avoid them because you experience the same kind of discomfort -- listen up.
If you're pairing your fishnets with any sort of heeled, closed-toe boot that is an above-the-ankle style, do this: Find a pair of your comfiest light-weight socks, making sure that they won't peek out above the top of your boots. Put the socks on BEFORE you put the fishnets on, then dress as you normally would. The socks provide a cushion between your skin and those pesky, slicing strings of nylon.
If you're pairing your fishnets with heels (toe open OR closed) you have a couple of options:
1)If you're going with pants, find a pair of trouser socks in a color that is in contrast to the color of your fishnets, but still works with the overall color scheme of your outfit. Once you've got your sock cushion in place, put your pants on and go.
2) If you choose to go with a skirt, sock length is going to depend on what you're comfortable with. Longer skirts, I recommend trouser socks whose tops will be covered by at least half an inch of your skirt. If you're bold enough to go with a shorter skirt and some fishnets for the workplace (and I will kindly resist making any sort of sassy, random hooker comment here, because Lord knows that if I didn't have to spend eight hours a day with wildly hormonal teenage boys in my midst, I'd probably be rocking the hooker look to work every now and then my damn self), you happen to be in luck -- the whole 80s fad of bright anklet socks with heels is fashionably acceptable right now -- so, try pulling your anklets on UNDER your fishnets and see what happens. You might also try a pair of slightly thicker tights in a contrasting color underneath your fishnets. The benefits of this trick are twofold: Your feet won't feel like they're being sliced by little razors every time you walk AND your legs will be much warmer.
Ultimately, you should go with what makes you comfortable and confident. These are just suggestions based on my personal experiences. If you want to wear a short skirt and rock knee-high socks under your fishnets, go for it. Do it with confidence and own it. I promise, no one will question you -- they'll just call it "your style."
Last time I wore fishnets was about 6 yrs ago when I dressed up for the Pimp n Ho party at Citywalk. :) But I do think I'll try to find some bad a$$ ones for when I get skinny enough to look good in a skintight dress. I think Fredericks (online) has some super cute ones!!!!! Oh, and I love these leggings for some reason---> http://www.fredericks.com/Crisscross_Stretch_Legging/74393,default,pd.html
ReplyDelete