Friday, February 5, 2010

Just call me Luca Brasi -- Because Tonight I Sleep With The Fishes (sort of)

I've apparently been too busy to blog since right around Thanksgiving. It's not that there hasn't been anything blog-worthy. A lot has been going on, actually. I mean, I finished all my licensure requirements on Dec. 4th and am waiting to receive my teaching license from the state. I got a job during the last week of student teaching, and have been teaching Biology to 9th & 10th graders at Jackson High School since the first week of January. I got a lovely pink and white sapphire engagement ring on Christmas night, and have since set a September wedding date.

And...this evening I'll be making my first voyage to the Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium. I'll be traveling with the Lake High School National Ocean Science Bowl team (and their coach, my cooperating teacher from my student teaching experience) to their competition this weekend. The trip involves an overnight stay in the aquarium. (Hence the "catchy" title for this post.)

Although I'm pretty stoked about the whole thing, I do think it's probably a lot more fun to be a kid in this sort of situation, as opposed to being the adult who has to sleep on the floor in a large room along with a substantial number of teenagers (and also have to help keep track of said teenagers). But, the floor-sleeping and teenager-sitting aside, I think it should be fun. I'm looking forward to the catered dinner and tours of the aquarium and aquatic complexes this evening. I'm also looking forward to the mandatory lights-out at 10:30 and getting to "sleep in" until 7:00 tomorrow morning. The hour or so of "free time" that's listed on our itinerary for this evening should give me time to make a big dent in grading all of my 9th graders' genetic disorder projects, too, which is also excellent.

I'm hoping to get lots of neat pictures to post because I seriously heart aquariums.

Wish me luck in my first official overnight field trip as a chaperone!

No comments:

Post a Comment