This weekend is going to be dedicated to making old t-shirts into pillows. (Well, when I'm not at the flea market and not trying to get the house organized, anyway.)
I have loads and loads of old t-shirts that are too sentimentally important to give to the Goodwill (old choir t-shirts, concert t-shirts, my 8th grade track shirt, my Taos vacation t-shirts), but also take up WAAAYY too much space in my closet. I don't have much storage space for boxes or Rubbermaid bins, either, and chances are, I'll just forget about the shirts if I store them.
I thought pillows would be a nifty, functional way to keep my favorite old shirts around. HOWEVER, I s-t-i-n-k at sewing (hence the reason I was never able to do much in the way of clothing design) and had no clue where to start. Soooo, I called up my mommy (The Sewing Expert), and asked her what I needed to do. It seems pretty simple, so I'm going to give it a shot, but I'll practice first on some shirts that were destined for the donate pile.
During my convo with Mom, she mentioned that the Big Lots in Stillwater (and possibly the Big Lots in OKC ) had a small sewing machine for around $12 that would be perfect for my pillow project. I'm going to check my local store this afternoon and see if we were lucky enough to get a shipment of said sewing machines.
Project Before-And-After photos will be up when I get finished.
i was able to sew once, i even started piecing together a quilt, now i don't even know if i can sew a straight line. another idea (no sew) would be to frame the tshirts in square album frames. i've seen it done it looks pretty cool, especially if you have a huge empty wall, for a collection of them.
ReplyDeletei can barely thread a needle, so we'll see! haha
ReplyDeleteI like this idea!!!....what are you going to do with all the pillows??? And if i can learn to kind of sew, i know you can do it!!
ReplyDeletehalf of the master bedroom is sleeping area, where the bed and all the dressers & stuff are. the other half has a couch & the tv, kind of like a little living area. some of the pillows will go there, and then i think the rest will go into the big room downstairs where all the electronic toys are eventually going to go. :)
ReplyDelete